My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark, Ohio, United States

Lead pastor of the Newark Ohio Church of the Nazarene

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Quit horsing around: Making the most of everyday!




From my first memories of childhood I was around horses. This picture is one taken of my father probably around the time I was born. While visiting someone in the church he jumped on this horse for a quick ride. (and a picture)


It reminds me of the seasons of our lives. Nothing lasts forever. The last church I pastored was in the country and I had horses. (1987 -1990) I remember when I became aware that I would possibly be moving on to another ministry away from this wonderful country setting in Pennsylvania that I would try to soak up every time I saddled the horse and rode. I wanted to embrace the moment, the views and I can still take you to a spot where I remembering pausing one spring morning just a ten minute ride from the barn where I could see for about ten or twenty miles in every direction. I realized I would never have this opportunity on a daily basis again. I tried to inhale that moment and take it in with all my senses. I have never forgotten the sight, sounds, smell and feel of that moment.


Are you making the most of your life? Are you embracing each day, your family, your job, your relationships and anything else that comes to mind as an opportunity that will one day be lost or perhaps never be there for you again. Relationships change. Our kids that once were little get older and move on. Our health which is reasonably good today may change tomorrow so let us seize the day. Seize the moments that are around us and live them to the fullest.


The best thing happened this week. I played racquetball with somebody from the church that I hardly knew at all and found out he has a farm and seven horses. I offered to become a farm hand on my days off! Seriously I hope to be spending some time back in the country. In fact, one of these days I may move out into this beautiful countryside that surrounds the city of Newark! I'm thinking the place might need to have a barn! Here are a couple of options! Too bad they are not in Licking County!